Thursday, December 22, 2011

True or False?

When it comes to college, there are a few things that people told me that I wish I would have known they weren't true. Such as: 

A lot of roommates spend a lot of time with each other. This is so false in my sense of the terms. I knew my roommate going into college, and while it wasn't a pleasant experience, it wasn't awful (until the last few months anyways). I've even seen seen some friends who room together in the dorms, and while they spend a lot of time in the room together, outside of that not much time was spent together (it was more of a "okay she's there, let's hang out" thing). 

College is super hard. While yes, some classes are more difficult than others. College in general is not hard, it's just a different style of teaching and learning you've been used to for the past 16 or so years of your life. Just remember to plan ahead and always, always keep a calendar of when things are due! You'll be fine. Take a deep breath and just jump in! 

Meeting new friends will be instant and easy. I'm out going, really out going (I'm in a sorority for heavens sake). But this doesn't mean that meeting people was necessarily easy for me to do. I met a ton of people during Rush Week, Move In Week and Freshman Week my first semester here that I began to talk to for a while and then things just fizzled out. It's all about taking time to make a good friendship with someone!

You  have just as much responsibility as you did in high school. So False. It's not that you don't have as much, but it's that you have so much more. Everything is your choice now, and you don't have Momma and Daddy right behind you telling you what to do. You have to make all of the right decisions (and some of the wrong ones) to figure out how to be on your own and still do well in school. 

Remember, College is so much fun and you'll love it (or you'll hate it) but it's something that you have to figure out for yourself. It's not something  you can just shrug off and forget about. College is a time of growth and new-found freedom. Take it all in and just run! You'll be glad that you did.

    No comments:

    Link

    Related Posts with Thumbnails